11.19.2008

In Search of Good Health

My entire culinary career has been devoted to providing not only tasty but well balanced meals to people of every age. Why is it then that I tend to neglect my own health? After working shifts, churning out meal after meal, I would usually get to the point of eating whatever scraps I could muster up. Never really worrying (or thinking) about proper nutrition, just as a means to get something.... anything in my stomach, so I can survive long enough to do it again the next day.

I just turned thirty a couple weeks ago. This opened my eyes to how fast I'm growing old and made me realize not only do I have a responsibility to provide healthy options for my customers, I really need to do the same for myself.

I've been doing a lot of research lately for a means to not only cleanse my body of the abuse I've put it through but also start to build better eating habits for myself. So for the next month I'll be going on a complete raw food diet, with the exception of milk (although it will be grass fed organic or goat's milk). I've mapped out my meal plans and grocery lists, accounted for the amounts of each item I should be ingesting to my system and have my trusty Centrum multi-vitamins to keep my mineral balance in check. I've come to learn that with a raw food diet it's all about balance, not exceeding one type of nutrient for another and keeping an eye on maintaining a proper alkaline level.

This first week is my transition period as it's not healthy to jump straight into this diet. Then after that I'll be updating regularly on what I've been eating, along with recipes and progress reports on how I feel physically and any changes that may arise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi from tomoyo,

This is really cool website:-) I will try to check it back from now on. Keep working on hard! haha And here is my little blog site: http://pottpolis.spaces.live.com/default.aspx Leave your footstep pls:)

Blighty's Tuck Store said...

Q: I usually fry onions before adding them to a chilli, casserole or similar dish. I seem to be able to digest them better than if I add them raw. What is actually happening to the onions when I fry them? Should I be frying them first?