11.05.2008

Dinner - Part. 2 - Braised Beef Short Ribs

Some may see spending over five hours of preparations to eat a meal a bit excessive. I see it as being such a strong love for accomplished creation and having a warm sense of comfort in my belly. Some may say that it's a waste of time and energy. I say it's my time and energy and I'll spend it however makes me feel complete. It's not every day I cook like this, most of the time I either eat dinner at work or it's something whipped up with what odds and ends are left in the fridge. So on those days I can do something special, I certainly will.
First step is cook out and slightly caramelize some onion.

As stated in part 1, I went to the butcher and picked up some beautiful beef short ribs. Season and sear both sides.

Once nicely browned, add wine. I used Casillero del Diablo Merlot 2007.


Pouring about a cup and a half into the sizzling pan, let that reduce for about a minute to cook off some of the alcohol.

Back in go the onions.

Then add some canned whole Roma tomatoes, the stock made in part 1 and a cinnamon stick.

Bring up the temp of the liquid, cover with aluminum foil and place in a 350 degree oven.

Next, boil some nugget potatoes with rosemary, bay leaf, garlic and coarse sea salt. When cooked, strain and set aside until short ribs are done.


About an hour and a half later out come the short ribs. Reduce sauce until thickened. Whisk in some butter to help pull the sauce all together.

Potatoes get flashed back in the oven with duck fat to glaze.

Then finished with a smoked cherry wood sea salt.

Cook some sort of veg, I chose asparagus.
Plate and eat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...that looks amazing!! Happy B'day by the way and thanks for your comments on Tiny Bites in regards to www.socialbites.ca. Not sure if you happen to live in Kits but I would love to have you on board as a hobby chef for Nov. 29. And if cooking doesn't work out this time, I think it would be great if you could attend as a guest. It will be a charity event...

Send me an email and we can chat.

Anonymous said...

your oven needs cleaning. happy birthday yesterday! cant wait for the cake today!

Anonymous said...

i left early and we didnt get a cake today.but hope you enjoy the mocha hazelnut torte.