9.17.2008

These Are the Markets In My Neighbourhood

Not long ago I watched a two part documentary entitled "Supermarket Secrets". Releasing the truths behind the "factory farms", some producing mass gallons of milk daily to the ones littering a floor with highly developing super chickens. Produce that must go through the most rigorous beauty tests imaginable. Farmers finding sometimes up to half their crop rejected at the farmers cost. Imported year-long (yet supposed to be seasonal) fruit and veg, having little to no taste. That one pisses me off..... I didn't lose my taste-buds, so where did it go?

I also have a pretty strong stomach when it comes to the thought of 'where most food comes from'. Meats, fish and poultry (most likely now butchered by machine) presented in their shiny saran coating, held securely by a piece of Styrofoam and perched on top, what some of my friends and I like to call, the tampon. Sorry, but now maybe you can understand my feelings to the wall of meat and be able to see it as i do.

Although this show was based out of the UK, it still struck a chord close to home and made me realize I really am a lucky man. Lucky enough to at least have more options than the mega-market (Safeway), situated not too far away from the mid-level bustle of the Commercial Drive core. I love my neighbourhood....

Just north of the Broadway & Commercial intersection lies Donald's Market (their main location at Hastings & Nanaimo). If I'm in need of a major shop to replenish cabinet and fridge/freezer stock this is where I'm generally heading. On busy days it can be a bit hairy maneuvering yourself inside, dodging other shoppers as you all do a sort of dance around each other all while trying to grab various goods for consumption. I wouldn't even say that is a real bad point to the store. In fact, I'd say they completely make up for it by having a pretty good collection of vinegars and oils, as well as my wonderful British cookies and Happy Planet.

Next up is Dollar Grocers, located almost directly across the road from Donald's on Commercial. I don't go here as much but if I'm up this side of The Drive and in need of produce then this is my stop. Just look at the picture above, see the enveloping colour that surrounds and with the big yellow canopy, it almost helps nudge you in the door. Grab a J.J. Bean coffee right next door then take a walk through... not only are you invited by such a beautiful arrangement, there is also a nice supply of organics and bulk bins to greet you on the other side.
Last, but certainly not least, is my most frequented market on The Drive..... Santa Barbara. Not only is it the most convenient from my house........
Look at all that fresh produce just waiting to be eaten......

A small portion of the cheeses on display, a number of others they will portion out in slices or brick, your choice......

As well as having to mention the stacks of cured meats from our own Canadian, to Italy and Spain and back again. As with the cheeses, the wonderful people there will slice your desired amount to your desired thickness...... now that's service.

Oh, how could I forget the sausages..... maybe my favorite aspect of this store. I really don't mind taking a number and waiting for some of the beauty that lies behind the glass cased guardians of cured meats and sausages. Me being a pasta freak this store caters very nicely, with a fantastic arrangement of noodles, anchovies, Roma tomatoes and a shelf of olive oils displayed like trophies.

I really am a lucky man.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think you have forgotten sweet cherebums and drive organics. the place to go if supermarket secrets scared you. and your farmers market. direct produce. what they pick is what you get. l

Oliver said...

I hear where you're coming from but I didn't forget sweet cherebum or drive organics. This post was mainly dealing with the alternatives I choose to take to avoid the supermarkets. I generally don't buy organic except for milk, eggs and meats if I can get it. I'm still not fully convinced about organics yet, plus my pockets aren't lined with gold.

As far as farmers markets go...... again, not forgotten. Maybe it'll creep in as it's own posting soon. we'll have to wait and see.