9.07.2008

Fall into Winter

Ahh yes.... Autumn is slowly creeping upon us, shortly before another winter arrives.

I have mixed feelings about these up-coming months. From a personal point of view I really enjoy them. To start, I'm a fall baby that is very much convinced these seasons have the best of holidays. Thanksgiving, Halloween and Christmas all have large emphasis on food. The cooling weather introduces an effect on the nature, producing so many beautiful colours and smells that flood the streets I walk. As a kid, I always related this time of the year to the beginning of another dreadful school year and the arrival of winter squash, always under the assumption they were merely decoration..... that's all they became in my home. Acorn, Butternut, Turban, Kabocha, Buttercup, Calabaza and the best known Pumpkin (which always was carved up, but never for cooking with exception to the seeds.... delicious).

It's been a long time since those days and I've now tasted a wide variety of winter squash with great love for every bite, maybe trying to make up for the lost time. Though more than just squash, this season is predominant for a huge array of amazing full flavoured fruits and vegetables. The juiciest plums, ripest figs, grapes with explosive taste, while not forgetting to mention it's time for the sweetest apples and pears in wide variety. The year round vegetables we generally eat like carrots, potatoes, onions also have a much more developed taste come this time of year. Fennel, corn, Jerusalem artichoke, celeriac and cabbage (which we can find all year but I see more as a fall/winter veg) all bring such robust and heart-warming flavours.... giving a feeling of absolute comfort against the almost too familiar harsh realities of Canadian winters (I'm located in Vancouver now but grew up in Southern Ontario.... trust me, I'm familiar with them).

While writing this, I have been doing a bit of reminiscing. While most think of Thanksgiving as a time for family... what happens when you are forced to spend that time at a distance? Just no possibility of being with them. A group of us decided to have an orphan Thanksgiving... friends coming together as family would; to eat, share, laugh and enjoy the company of others. With one of my best friends (Jason) by my side, we did up a turkey dinner for fourteen people all coming together from various locations on the planet. The reason this sticks out in my mind so vividly is a mystery, there must be some significance.... did it have something to do with the food, company, situation? Whatever the reason it has certainly helped to push me down a culinary path I'm excited to be walking.

I would have to say the only thing that may get a little tiring about these next few months would have to be the rush and headache brought on by the struggle to finally reach Christmas without loss of sanity. Nobody in the service industry gets any break this time of year and being involved in catering, we are usually booked for a solid month to month and a half before that "joyous" day. Don't get me wrong, I do like Christmas Day.... just not the excessive over-kill leading up to it. Sorry, I needed to bitch for a second.... I do absolutely love menu planning and development in any respect and in my opinion it's the most exciting time of year to do so. Oh and bring on the Christmas cake, egg nog, stollen and plum pudding. My belly is prepped and ready for the punishment.
Since beginning my culinary career I've grown to really appreciate the abundant amount of fall and winter produce and how to properly utilize them, so as to not get stuck in a rut with meal ideas, be it at home or work. I can't speak for anybody else but I can't be happy eating the same old holiday dinners every year. Turkey, mashed or roasted potato, some variety of steamed veg (most likely including brussels sprouts), stuffing, cranberry sauce and some sort of gravy. Throughout the next couple weeks I'll be giving some ideas to help break the mundane, maybe help make the holiday cooking seem like less of a chore.

No comments: