9.02.2008

Food, Glorious Food!

I've thought long and hard about what I was going to write as an introduction piece, what could I possibly do to pull people in to comsume the ramblings that flow from my mind? Grasping at a handful of ideas, some too involved, while some just too risky to start with. I finally decided to focus on nothing more than an introduction as to why I would do this. Get the formalities over with and from then on just dive into the juicy bits...... the meat of it all.

So, Hello.... I'm Oliver. I've been cooking professionally for the last 13 years, in varying styles and structures of restaurants.... I've pretty much seen and done it all. Everything from corporate kitchens, Mom & Pop shops, open concept to the point of being almost surrounded by customers... that one and I didn't exactly mix. At present I'm working in a catering kitchen and it is glorious! I can't say often enough how my life now feels like semi-retirement.

No more Friday night chit machines spewing their hate upon me, the enslaving inferno of a kitchen in the middle of a summer death heat wave! Sweating, swearing and swiggin shots of cooking brandy to just make it through. Fights with wait staff, all the while knowing they are just the middle-men to the customers, yet still wanting nothing more than to rip their face off mid-service. The night does eventually end, everyone makes amends and for all the amount of ass kicking you get from every bill you recieve...... there's just something there that keeps bringing you back. There is a magic to the kitchen... the sounds, smells, colours and if it all works just right there's a sense of true poetry in motion.

This being said, can I stay semi-retired forever? Most likely not, at some point i'll have to re-immerse myself in the chaos. There's just no escape from that love. I think, those of us in this industry can agree that it's our passion and determination to know more that really defines us in the kitchen... this is why I do it.

5 comments:

Blighty's Tuck Store said...

Welcome to the blogosphere. Great first post.

Ashley said...

looks tasty!! i like your write up

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of blogging, Oliver! I'm still happy with that tuna and fennel salad you introduced me to. Looking forward to more great meal ideas from your kitchen.

Unknown said...

keep on blogging, looking forward to great meal ideas.

mikgeojo said...

Hello Oliver
I too have a long catering career and worked in many establishments over the years. I have also been the waitress that gets screamed at because I called an order too early or took out a meal without the garnish! but as you say at the end of the night everyone bid each other goodnight, no hard feelings and came back for more the next day. Such fun!