10.16.2008

A Memorable Feast

I sit at my computer with a semi-lost gaze and a mind that's clouded. Maybe it's stress but I'm sure it's just a desire to take a 'time-out' from life, escape back into that place of little to no worry and let my head become clear and refreshed so I can return to tackle the everyday. I need a vacation, as I'm sure a lot of us constantly do. Unfortunately, right now is not a feasible time to do so, so I pop in a CD of pictures from vacations past.... not nearly the same, but it'll get me through until I can physically escape once again.

My last "real" vacation was Taiwan just over a year ago. I've done a week back in Ontario since, but I hardly think that counts as I was running around more than anything. Looking back at my short stint in Asia, I've come to realize how much I love the culture, people and especially food. In fact, my most memorable meal to date was on that trip.

As night grew, the muggy heat seemed to calm only slightly with the absence of sun. With Laura by my side and Lei and Atai leading, we make our way through a maze of streets in the busy downtown of Taipei. Turning down one road that I would more commonly describe as an alley we come to a tiny restaurant, maybe 15 seats total and all situated around a long bar. My curiosity is peaked as I'm told we are going to have Japanese BBQ..... With BBQ being amongst my top 5 preparations of food, excitement fills me and I prepare my palate.

We take our seats and are handed menus, some Asahi beer quickly follows as we make up our minds of what to partake in. Leaving the decisions to my fantastic hosts, I sit back ready to indulge. Two small cast iron pots filled with very hot coals is placed in front of us and a small wire mesh screen is placed on top. Soon after our food arrives. Anchovies, octopus, very thinly sliced beef and various other meats and seafood.... all raw. I can figure out what's next, so chopsticks in hand I toss some on. Something about food cooking in front of my eyes is a sight I'll never take for granted. The beauty of that process, to see the colours change and the smells begin to mix causing a mouth watering effect.

Food done and no time to wait, down the gullet it goes. The conversation flows just as fluidly as the beer to my stomach. I begin to glow, realizing this is the kind of moment my life was created to experience.....

....Snap back to reality. I glance at my clock, 11:30am. It's that time. I muster up the strength.... work demands yet again. Soon I'll be able to regain that state of mental bliss, but until that day I'll have the memories like these to get me through.

2 comments:

Dani said...

This has nothing to do with this post, but I'm pretty sure you should post more baking recipes since that's all I can cook that tastes ok. haha.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!